ANNOUNCEMENT


Worship with us @ Mountain of Fire Miracles Ministries, Budapest, Hungary Address: 1081 Bp II János Pál Pápa tér 2 (formerly Köztársaság tér) Direction: From Blaha, take tram 28, 28A, 37, 37A, 62...1 stop. From the traffic light cross to the other side... Or take Metro 4 & get off @ János Pál Pápa tér
Time of worship: Wednesdays @ 18:30 hr Sundays @ 10:30 hr
Tel: +36 203819155 or +36 202016005

God bless


Sunday 18 March 2012

LIFE & STYLE

Zooming in on Kelani’s World

Tunde Kelani
Tunde Kelani who is widely referred to as TK is that Nigerian ace cinematographer. If the story of the Nigerian movie industry or Nollywood is told or written, it would without doubt be incomplete without the inclusion of prolific cinematography, Tunde Kelani, writes SBF

Tunde Kelani who is widely referred to as TK is that Nigerian ace cinematographer that has brought smiles to many homes with flicks like ‘Saworo Ide’ and ‘Oleku’ through his Mainframe Films and Television Productions.

He is a filmmaker, storyteller, director, photographer, and a producer as well. At an early age, he was sent to Abeokuta to live with his grandfather. The rich Yoruba culture and tradition he experienced in his early years, coupled with the experience he garnered at the London Film School where he studied the art of film making, prepared him for what he is doing today.
His background shaped his idea of things in life and this include his love for arts, stage plays and eventual incursion into the world of make believe. “I was born in Lagos but at age five, I was sent to live with my grandparents in Abeokuta. I attended the Oke-Ona Primary School in Ikija, Abeokuta. I had my secondary school education at Abeokuta Grammar School. I was separated from my mother and sent to live in Abeokuta.

My grandfather was the Balogun of Ijaiye Kukudi and I witnessed several aspects of Yoruba ways of life, the Yoruba religion, Yoruba literature, Yoruba philosophy, environments and world view in arts at close quarters. Of course, I got introduced to Yoruba literature from an early stage in life.

Theatre also played an important part because we had a very strong traveling theatre tradition at that time. When I was in secondary school, I had the privilege of seeing most of the great Yoruba theatre classics like the Palmwine Drunkard, Oba Koso, Kurunmi, Ogunde plays and all that.”
With all these exposure as a youngster, TK became interested in photography and knew by the time he left school that any work he did would be photography- related. He was employed as a trainee cameraman by the Western Nigeria Television and attended the London Film School in 1976 to learn technical aspects of filmmaking. “I got interested in photography from primary school.

Throughout my secondary school education, I was actively investing money and taking my time to learn photography. So, inevitably, I became an apprentice photographer after I finished secondary school. Later, I trained at the Western Nigeria Television (WNTV) and later I attended the London Film School.”
These days, the cinema culture is being revived with the erection of ultra modern cinemas around the country. But it would be interesting to note that TK was one of the few cinematographers behind the revival because he makes his films for the cinema first before considering it for home video, making him distinct from the Nollywood filmmakers who have few cinema aspirations.
“Many years ago in Nigeria, we had neighbourhood cinemas. Around me, I had about six cinemas and I had preferences. American films made an impression on me and we had Indian films and Chinese films, so it was question of your preference. Until we lost all cinema infrastructure and Nigerians as a result of military dictatorship and insecurity preferred to be entertained in their own homes.

Of course, it has also affected the film industry. Because of economic factors, all the cinemas closed down in the 80s and that gave birth to the popular Nollywood because films are distributed generally on CDs, DVDs for home entertainment. But things are changing because cinemas are springing up in Lagos, five of them. More are being built.

With that, the cinema culture will be revived. Ambitious films are now first screened in cinemas and the number is growing. It is a silent revolution and it is going to happen.”

With flicks like ‘Ti Oluwa Nile,’ ‘Oleku,’ ‘Saworo Ide,’ ‘The Narrow Path,’ ‘Arugba,’ amidst others, TK’s biggest film remains his 2000 release, ‘Thunderbolt.’ With budgets of between $60,000 and $75,000, TK has consistently distinguished his works and himself.
However, he sees the Nigerian movie industry from a different angle. Also, he decries piracy. “People criticise the Nigerian film industry but they forget that it is a very young industry. But the interesting part of it is its rich cultural heritage. We have vast literary resources. We have people who are talented and very hardworking.

We have the technology on our side and so I think Nigeria is close to a breakthrough. Within the next few years, you will see another breed of the Nigerian films. The major problem I think we have and needs to be tackled is piracy. I mean these guys reap bountifully from the sweat and labour of these hardworking Nigerians in the entertainment world.”
Though his father had wanted him to be a pharmacist, he remains one of his greatest supporters because his father literarily took him to where he began apprenticeship in photography. “My father was a wonderful man when he was alive and when I said I wanted to become an apprentice without a salary, my father agreed and we went to see Chief Dotun Okubanjo who I had approached. They had a chat and my father confirmed to him I was mad about photography. So, it was an open family secret that I was just a photographer.
“My father wanted me to be a pharmacist but my own plans were far away from pharmacy. I just wanted to be a photographer and really, it was as simple as that. I just don’t want to be anything else, it was just madness and I was so proud of it. Even at that time, my friends went to the university but I just wanted to be a photographer.

In my journey, there was a girlfriend who dumped me because she told me she wanted to study Medicine and she could not introduce me to her friends as a photographer and we parted. I was just happy to see a camera around me and if you look at the table there, you will see a camera there.

Camera has always been around me because it is just a wonderful tool to document some aspects of life that will disappear in 20 years time. I want to do more and more and more. I wish I had the capacity and the financial backing to continue to work every day because there is so much to document.

There is so much to do before we lose our culture. To me, it’s a lost battle that if care is not taken, our culture and language will disappear. It is disappearing from challenges of other cultures in what we call globalisation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

COPYRIGHT

COVER STORY

MY SMALL VOICE COLUMN

MY SMALL VOICE COLUMN
Odd jobs stacked against EU immigrants

COLUMN: MY SMALLVOICE

COLUMN: MY SMALLVOICE
TV2's false report about Nigerians in Hungary

MY SMALL VOICE

MY SMALL VOICE
Remembering a true prophet, Bob Marley...click on photo to read

MY SMALL VOICE

MY SMALL VOICE
Subsidising fraud & lies & blood...click on photo to read

MY SMALL VOICE:

MY SMALL VOICE:
Libya: The return of colonialist bondage.

Editor's Mail

Love the article on Gaddafi
We must rise above tribalism & divide & rule of the colonialist who stole & looted our treasure & planted their puppets to lord it over us..they alone can decide on whosoever is performing & the one that is corrupt..but the most corrupt nations are the western countries that plunder the resources of other nations & make them poorer & aid the rulers to steal & keep such ill gotten wealth in their country..yemen,syria etc have killed more than gadhafi but its not A̷̷̴ good investment for the west(this is laughable)because oil is not in these countries..when obasanjo annihilated the odi people in rivers state, they looked away because its in their favour & interest..one day! Samosa Iyoha

Hello from
Johannesburg
I was amazed to find a website for Africans in Hungary.
Looks like you have quite a community there. Here in SA we have some three million Zimbabweans living in exile and not much sign of going home ... but in Hungary??? Hope to meet you on one of my trips to Europe; was in Steirmark Austria near the Hungarian border earlier this month. Every good wish for 2011. Geoff in Jo'burg

I'm impressed by
ANH work but...
Interesting interview...
I think from what have been said, the Nigerian embassy here seem to be more concern about its nationals than we are for ourselves. Our complete disregard for the laws of Hungary isn't going to help Nigeria's image or going to promote what the Embassy is trying to showcase. So if the journalists could zoom-in more focus on Nigerians living, working and studying here in Hungary than scrutinizing the embassy and its every move, i think it would be of tremendous help to the embassy serving its nationals better and create more awareness about where we live . Taking the issues of illicit drugs and forged documents as typical examples.. there are so many cases of Nigerians been involved. But i am yet to read of it in e.news. So i think if only you and your journalists could write more about it and follow up on the stories i think it will make our nationals more aware of what to expect. I wouldn't say i am not impressed with your work but you need to be more of a two way street rather than a one way street . Keep up the good work... Sylvia

My comment to the interview with his excellency Mr. Adedotun Adenrele Adepoju CDA a.i--

He is an intelligent man. He spoke well on the issues! Thanks to Mr Hakeem Babalola for the interview it contains some expedient information.. B.Ayo Adams click to read editor's mail
Watch live streaming video from saharareporters at livestream.com

Popular Posts

Our Blog List