ANNOUNCEMENT


Worship with us @ Mountain of Fire Miracles Ministries, Budapest, Hungary Address: 1081 Bp II János Pál Pápa tér 2 (formerly Köztársaság tér) Direction: From Blaha, take tram 28, 28A, 37, 37A, 62...1 stop. From the traffic light cross to the other side... Or take Metro 4 & get off @ János Pál Pápa tér
Time of worship: Wednesdays @ 18:30 hr Sundays @ 10:30 hr
Tel: +36 203819155 or +36 202016005

God bless


Saturday 14 April 2012

INTERVIEW

 I support my spouse on my knees

A former broadcaster, Olori Subuola Esther Oyediran is the wife of Oba Sunday Oladapo Oyediran, Lagbami Osekun III, Onpetu of Ijeru, Oyo State. In this interview with TOLUWANI OLAMITOKE, she compares her role in the palace with that of the biblical Esther and shares her experience in the palace. Excerpts:

What were you doing before you became an olori?I worked with  the  media for years. I worked with the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) and Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State, (BCOS). I was also the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of Oyo State Prilgriams Welfare Board (Christian Wing) before I retired to the palace.
Did you find  any attraction  in being  an olori  before you became one?What really attracted me was the lifestyle and role of an olori as it is in the bible. That’s the story of Esther in the book of Esther. She didn’t perceive the role as one to display frivolities, but she realised her purpose for being in that office and carried out the mission expected of her by God in the lives of her people, the Jews. She lived and worked in line with the vision God had  for her and she succeeded through her spiritual endeavours.  Though I never coveted the office of an olori, but I coveted all that happened to her. She stood in gap on behalf of the Jews and made herself available to be used by God. Esther was focused  and  never derailed nor let the splendour of her office get into her head. She made herself available to God to the end. Even in the midst of comfort, she denied herself  of the splendour and pleasures of the palace. Instead, she  fasted and  prayed and got a positive result. Before now, by virtue of my career, I had come in contact with many oloris but never wanted to be one. Again,  my belief was that every oba must belong to one cult or the other and I just couldn’t imagine myself being a part of this because I’m a  born again Christian.
Has your perception changed?My  perception of a king and life in the  palace changed when I realised my husband is an evangelist. He would always say being a traditional ruler shouldn’t deter you from the Kingdom of God. Kabiyesi is a staunch Christian and has made the bible which is ever true, his guide. By the help of the Holy Spirit he seeks  daily  to live according to God’s standard, not compromising. And being the head of his domain, he knows he needs God because it’s only through Him he can have a peaceful  and successful reign.
Now that you are in the same office which the  biblical Esther  held, do you  find the role she played an easy task? I play out  Esther’s role  in a different context. I take care of my husband very well and  support him with prayers on my knees. He definitely  needs wisdom in handling his home and his people. When  he’s happy in the home it reflects on his activities and the way he carries out  his duties to his people. He needs God’s guidance in taking decisions which will improve the lot of his people and make them happy. I will state that interceding on his behalf is my first duty.
In your early days in the palace what were the practices you found new or strange?That’s the practice of old people bowing or kneeling down to greet me. Normally the reverse is the case  in  Yorubaland,  so I found it odd. And because the normal practice is that the younger person would bow or kneel to greet the older, I was doing this in my early days as a queen. I was made to understand that my office as  an olori accords me such respect from the people. They pay me obeisance. Since it’s the tradition, I had to take my place, but  again, with respect.
Can you tell us the dos and don’ts of your office?I great my husband on my knees, serve his food on my knees, it is part of the culture. I  address him as kabiyesi, either I’m  alone with him or in the presence of others. There are places I can go no more. I can’t attend just any party. While working in the media, I interacted  a lot because my job demanded it. But now my outing is limited. I must confess that I miss my radio programmes. When I was still into broadcasting I wear skirt and trouser suits, but these days it is much of traditional wears, iro and buba and casuals when in the palace. You can’t see me putting on trouser any more, while my hands beads  are  a must. I have the neck beads on only on important occasions.
Are you at every meeting with kabiyesi?It’s not everywhere he goes that I follow. I don’t attend traditional meetings with him. He holds this with the chiefs. I’m in my office - that is looking over the affairs of the palace or being with the  children or in my room when he is discussing  with his chiefs. And if I’m to be part of the meeting, he calls me. He takes decisions mostly with  the chiefs.
What contributions have you made at seeing to the progress of your domain?Whatever kabiyesi does I do. I can’t do anything without his support while he can do all things with my support.
The embrace of civilisation has changed  traditions and cultures in many towns. What has it  changed in your domain?As Christians we have done away with traditional religious practices, but then there are some traditions which should be preserved and these we have kept and have not allowed them to be adulterated, so far as they are not adulatory.
Does being an olori stop you from working?I still work. I run a photo laboratory outfit and have a manager overseeing things for me.
With much responsibility placed on your spouse, how do you get his attention?We have our different codes of communicating. When it’s necessary to have his attention or discuss issues that have to do with us, we   have a way of passing the message across to each other. The one receiving the message definitely understands what the other is saying.
Do you still do the shopping for your family?I sometimes do. There are times you just want to be yourself.
It’s Easter time, how do you make it special and distinct from the ordinary day?We have ministrations slated for this period. There’s also going to be a women’s retreat. But after these we are going to relax and celebrate it with our people. The special food is iyan and soup made with eran igbe (bush meat). In Ijeru, iyan is our light breakfast.
You are  kabiyesi’s only wife. Don’t you envisage his taking another wife?I’m the only wife in the palace and I’m enjoying it. Talking about another wife, kabiyesi is a man of God, so he would not do such a thing. We are happy and enjoy each other’s company.
What do you do to keep your dark skin glowing?I use shea butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COPYRIGHT

COVER STORY

MY SMALL VOICE COLUMN

MY SMALL VOICE COLUMN
Odd jobs stacked against EU immigrants

COLUMN: MY SMALLVOICE

COLUMN: MY SMALLVOICE
TV2's false report about Nigerians in Hungary

MY SMALL VOICE

MY SMALL VOICE
Remembering a true prophet, Bob Marley...click on photo to read

MY SMALL VOICE

MY SMALL VOICE
Subsidising fraud & lies & blood...click on photo to read

MY SMALL VOICE:

MY SMALL VOICE:
Libya: The return of colonialist bondage.

Editor's Mail

Love the article on Gaddafi
We must rise above tribalism & divide & rule of the colonialist who stole & looted our treasure & planted their puppets to lord it over us..they alone can decide on whosoever is performing & the one that is corrupt..but the most corrupt nations are the western countries that plunder the resources of other nations & make them poorer & aid the rulers to steal & keep such ill gotten wealth in their country..yemen,syria etc have killed more than gadhafi but its not A̷̷̴ good investment for the west(this is laughable)because oil is not in these countries..when obasanjo annihilated the odi people in rivers state, they looked away because its in their favour & interest..one day! Samosa Iyoha

Hello from
Johannesburg
I was amazed to find a website for Africans in Hungary.
Looks like you have quite a community there. Here in SA we have some three million Zimbabweans living in exile and not much sign of going home ... but in Hungary??? Hope to meet you on one of my trips to Europe; was in Steirmark Austria near the Hungarian border earlier this month. Every good wish for 2011. Geoff in Jo'burg

I'm impressed by
ANH work but...
Interesting interview...
I think from what have been said, the Nigerian embassy here seem to be more concern about its nationals than we are for ourselves. Our complete disregard for the laws of Hungary isn't going to help Nigeria's image or going to promote what the Embassy is trying to showcase. So if the journalists could zoom-in more focus on Nigerians living, working and studying here in Hungary than scrutinizing the embassy and its every move, i think it would be of tremendous help to the embassy serving its nationals better and create more awareness about where we live . Taking the issues of illicit drugs and forged documents as typical examples.. there are so many cases of Nigerians been involved. But i am yet to read of it in e.news. So i think if only you and your journalists could write more about it and follow up on the stories i think it will make our nationals more aware of what to expect. I wouldn't say i am not impressed with your work but you need to be more of a two way street rather than a one way street . Keep up the good work... Sylvia

My comment to the interview with his excellency Mr. Adedotun Adenrele Adepoju CDA a.i--

He is an intelligent man. He spoke well on the issues! Thanks to Mr Hakeem Babalola for the interview it contains some expedient information.. B.Ayo Adams click to read editor's mail
Watch live streaming video from saharareporters at livestream.com

Popular Posts

Our Blog List