ANNOUNCEMENT


Worship with us @ Mountain of Fire Miracles Ministries, Budapest, Hungary Address: 1081 Bp II János Pál Pápa tér 2 (formerly Köztársaság tér) Direction: From Blaha, take tram 28, 28A, 37, 37A, 62...1 stop. From the traffic light cross to the other side... Or take Metro 4 & get off @ János Pál Pápa tér
Time of worship: Wednesdays @ 18:30 hr Sundays @ 10:30 hr
Tel: +36 203819155 or +36 202016005

God bless


Sunday 31 July 2011

WOMEN AFFAIRS

‘Women should never negotiate in marriage’

A consultant anaesthetist and Head of Department of Anaesthesia, University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Cross River State, Dr. Mrs. Theresa Abang Edentiekhe, speaks with BLESSING EKUM on the challenges of being a mum, wife and a career woman and the place of a woman in marriage. Excerpts:


What aspect of your childhood would you say has shaped you to be the woman you are today?
I went to a Catholic school, so I wanted to be a reverend sister. But somewhere along the line, I lost that desire because I came in touch with the Deeper Life Church while in secondary school and they made me aware that the Catholic concept I was brought up with and theirs was actually different and that created some conflict within me and I wasn’t so sure that being a reverend sister was what I really wanted to do anymore. As a child, I’d always wanted to be a gynaecologist; so, to get to that point, I had to be a doctor. But surprisingly, after I became a doctor, I did my NYSC in anaesthesia and I never left, though it is challenging and intimidating. Anaesthesia is like trying to play God though you are not God, because for the period a patient is under anaesthesia, his life is in your hands. If you make any mistake, it can be frightening.

What has been the highest point of your career?
The highest point was when I graduated. It was like, ‘at long last, I am now a doctor.’

And the lowest?
The lowest was when I lost my first patient. That was in November 1994; 7 years after I got into the specialty. I was devastated and ready to throw in the towel. The incident actually altered everything for me because I never believed I could lose a patient. It’s not that I am too good but that particular death was unanticipated; maybe if I had seen it coming, I would have been consoled. First, I did the case against my will and the method of anaesthetics I used was equally against my will and since that day, once I have an intuition about a case, I stick to my instincts because I don’t want to go wrong.

How have you been able to manage your roles as a head of department, a pastor’s wife, the vice president of your church’s women wing, a mum and a wife?
I constantly ask myself if I have been able to strike a balance. As far as my job is concerned, I take it very seriously. For the home front, I put in my best. I grew up to see my mum buy foodstuffs in bulk, so that has helped me. I stock up so that any time I come home, I can cook. In spite of all I’m handling, I still do the cooking in my home. I think every woman that intends to have a home and keep it needs to know how to cook.

What has kept you going?
When I look at the blessings, all I can say is ‘thank you God’ and that helps me push ahead. I don’t look at the bad aspects of things, I look at the lessons behind what is happening and I tell myself ‘the darkest hour is just before dawn’. So when I feel the stress is too much, I encourage myself that there is joy around the corner and whatever I am striving for, I would get.

How and when did you meet your husband?
We had mutual friends and they would say ‘there is this young man looking for a wife’ and I used to ask them if I told them I was looking for a husband. I felt men were trouble and that I’d have to be at someone’s beck and call 24/7 and as far as I knew, I didn’t need them. So when he came around, I told him off. I went as far as telling him that even if I wanted a husband, he didn’t fit into the picture because I wanted a pastor and not just pastors that are full of themselves but those that depend on God for everything. He just looked at me and smiled and was trying to tell me he was a leader in his church but I just dismissed him. We met a year later and he told me he had prayed and God told him I was his wife. So I told him to allow me pray also, but truly speaking I wasn’t interested. My neighbour, who was a pastor’s wife, encouraged me to pray about it for a week and I put the mater into prayer with a request for a sign.

Just before the week ran out, the sign was confirmed. He went to my father for blessing and surprisingly, my father gave the go-ahead. That then gave him the courage to come back to me and ask again and this time around, I agreed.

How has the journey been so far?
It has been good. When it seems rough, I remind God that he brought me into it and since He can’t lie, He sees me through.

Is there any of your children in the medical line?
My daughter actually wants to tow my line. My first daughter says she wants to be a doctor, pastor and politician because being a pastor would make her serve God and bring people closer to God; being a doctor would help save lives but because doctors don’t have money, she would go into politics so that she would have money. My son on the other hand says he can’t marry a doctor because they are always working.

In your opinion, is marriage about submission or negotiation on the woman’s part?
A woman should never negotiate in marriage. Whichever way it seems, she should just hand it over to God. I always tell women, ‘if you submit, your husband will love you; when you don’t, he would want to prove to you that he is the man. In fact, he will derive pleasure in suppressing you. But when he knows that his wife is there for him, he would want to encourage you.’ Some women use certain things as weapons and that is wrong. No matter how tired I am, I have never been too tired for my husband. If I am too tired for him, there are so many ladies out there, even in the church, who would come and want to start getting close. Why give room for the devil? Don’t let anybody deceive you, if you don’t have a cordial relationship with your husband, there will be times you will just ask yourself what you’ve got yourself into and would opt out of the marriage. But when your husband is your friend, brother and mentor and you encourage each other, you will never get tired of the marriage.

What is your take on plastic surgery for beauty enhancement?
It is very unafrican. Where I come from, women are supposed to be chubby. If you are skinny, it is like your parents don’t have money to feed you. We still practice the fattening room tradition in Oron, where I am from. The lady would be in the fattening room for about nine months. Her hair would be shaved before she goes into the room so that it would grow afresh. She would be taught how to cook, take care of her home, husband and babies. At the same time, she is fattened up and taken care of till her skin is smooth and glistening and she has gained weight. That is our tradition.

But to me, you can be any size you are so long as you are comfortable with it. If you reshape your face, you are telling God you don’t like what he did and you want to help him make it better. This is not to say you should be obese. I am a little bit obese because being in the theatre doesn’t allow me move about a lot but I advise people not to gain too much weight. However, I don’t believe in surgery to fix the problem. If you need to trim your tummy, it can be worked on but using the surgeon’s knife won’t solve the problem because whatever brought the tummy to that shape would make it reoccur and you will be back to square one. So exercising is best to keep 

source: Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

COPYRIGHT

COVER STORY

MY SMALL VOICE COLUMN

MY SMALL VOICE COLUMN
Odd jobs stacked against EU immigrants

COLUMN: MY SMALLVOICE

COLUMN: MY SMALLVOICE
TV2's false report about Nigerians in Hungary

MY SMALL VOICE

MY SMALL VOICE
Remembering a true prophet, Bob Marley...click on photo to read

MY SMALL VOICE

MY SMALL VOICE
Subsidising fraud & lies & blood...click on photo to read

MY SMALL VOICE:

MY SMALL VOICE:
Libya: The return of colonialist bondage.

Editor's Mail

Love the article on Gaddafi
We must rise above tribalism & divide & rule of the colonialist who stole & looted our treasure & planted their puppets to lord it over us..they alone can decide on whosoever is performing & the one that is corrupt..but the most corrupt nations are the western countries that plunder the resources of other nations & make them poorer & aid the rulers to steal & keep such ill gotten wealth in their country..yemen,syria etc have killed more than gadhafi but its not A̷̷̴ good investment for the west(this is laughable)because oil is not in these countries..when obasanjo annihilated the odi people in rivers state, they looked away because its in their favour & interest..one day! Samosa Iyoha

Hello from
Johannesburg
I was amazed to find a website for Africans in Hungary.
Looks like you have quite a community there. Here in SA we have some three million Zimbabweans living in exile and not much sign of going home ... but in Hungary??? Hope to meet you on one of my trips to Europe; was in Steirmark Austria near the Hungarian border earlier this month. Every good wish for 2011. Geoff in Jo'burg

I'm impressed by
ANH work but...
Interesting interview...
I think from what have been said, the Nigerian embassy here seem to be more concern about its nationals than we are for ourselves. Our complete disregard for the laws of Hungary isn't going to help Nigeria's image or going to promote what the Embassy is trying to showcase. So if the journalists could zoom-in more focus on Nigerians living, working and studying here in Hungary than scrutinizing the embassy and its every move, i think it would be of tremendous help to the embassy serving its nationals better and create more awareness about where we live . Taking the issues of illicit drugs and forged documents as typical examples.. there are so many cases of Nigerians been involved. But i am yet to read of it in e.news. So i think if only you and your journalists could write more about it and follow up on the stories i think it will make our nationals more aware of what to expect. I wouldn't say i am not impressed with your work but you need to be more of a two way street rather than a one way street . Keep up the good work... Sylvia

My comment to the interview with his excellency Mr. Adedotun Adenrele Adepoju CDA a.i--

He is an intelligent man. He spoke well on the issues! Thanks to Mr Hakeem Babalola for the interview it contains some expedient information.. B.Ayo Adams click to read editor's mail
Watch live streaming video from saharareporters at livestream.com

Popular Posts

Our Blog List